Texas Memorial Stadium
A concrete stadium to replace wooden Clark Field was a long-time dream of University of Texas athletics director L. Theo Bellmont. In 1923, that dream turned to reality as Bellmont met with 30 student leaders and initiated a plan to build a stadium. The idea was presented to the Board of Regents, who approved the project in December of 1923. A Central Stadium Committee was named at the Regents meeting on January 16, 1924, and the project was underway.
Ballparks Virtual Mall
Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium Replica Model
Heralded as "the largest sports facility of its kind in the Southwest" upon its completion in 1924, the first unit of the stadium consisted of the east and west stands with a seating capacity of 27,000. A product of University of Texas and state pride, the stadium was financed through donations from both the students and alumni. The estimated cost of the structure was $275,000.
The enthusiasm was at an all-time high, and UT was forced to construct temporary bleachers to accommodate the overflow crowd of approximately 33,000 people at the dedication ceremonies during the 1924 Texas A&M-Texas game.
The UT student body decided to dedicate the stadium in honor of the 198,520 Texans -- 5,280 of whom lost their lives -- who fought in World War I. A statue, representing the figure of democracy, was later placed atop the north end zone seats of the stadium.
UT lost many former players and former coach Jack Chevigny during World War II. The UT Men's Athletics Council rededicated the newly enlarged stadium on September 18, 1948 prior to the Texas-LSU game, honoring the men and women who had died in the war.
On November 12, 1977, a small granite monument was unveiled and placed at the base of the statue, during the TCU-Texas game. The ceremony rededicated Texas Memorial Stadium to the memory of all American veterans of all wars.
On Veterans Recognition Day 1996, the stadium was rededicated once again to veterans of all wars in an effort to honor the memory of those who fought valiantly to preserve freedom.
The University of Texas honored legendary head football coach Darrell Royal by adding his name to the Longhorns stadium (Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium) in 1996. Royal, who led Texas to three national championships and 11 SWC titles in 20 seasons (1957-76), was recognized and the stadium officially named for him the weekend of the Notre Dame game that year
Also in 1996, the University established a Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium Veterans Committee comprised of UT alumni who served in World War II, Korea, Vietnam or the Gulf Wars. The charge of the committee is to forever dedicate the stadium in the memory of, and in honor of, UT students and alumni who paid the supreme price by giving their lives for their country.
- Last Game at Clark Field:
Texas 7, Florida 7 on October 25, 1924
- First Game at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium:
Baylor 28, Texas 10 on November 8,1924
- Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium Dedication Game:
Texas 7, Texas A&M 0 on Thanksgiving Day, November 27, 1924
- First Night Game:
Texas Tech 20, Texas 14 on September 17, 1955
- First Game on Astro Turf:
Texas 49, Texas Tech 7 on September, 27, 1969
- Last Game on Astro Turf:
Texas 21, Baylor 13 on November 23, 1995
- Longest Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium Winning Streak:
42 games. Began with a 31-3 win over Oklahoma State on October 5, 1968 and ended with a 30-0 loss to Houston on November 6, 1976.
Each year, one home football game is designated as Veterans Recognition Day, with appropriate ceremonies, music and events commemorating the "memorial" aspect of the stadium and to honor the memory of war veterans.
The committee works with the UT President and the athletics department on consideration of future projects, which could include a permanent memorial display or plaza area as part of the University Master Plan in campus development.
Freddie Steinmark Scoreboard
In a pregame ceremony prior to Texas game with Miami on September 23, 1972, the scoreboard at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium was dedicated to the memory of Freddie Steinmark.
The small (5-10, 166), but tough Steinmark, was a starting safety for the Longhorns as a sophomore and junior in 1968-69. During that time, Texas won 20 of 22 games and two SWC titles with Steinmark providing five interceptions as a sophomore and two as a junior. Steinmark, who also earned Academic all-SWC honors in 1968 and 69, led the Longhorns in punt returns (25 for 177 yards as a sophomore and averaged 6.1 yards on 38 punt returns for his career.
Following the final regular season game of his junior year, he became national symbol of courage and determination as he began a year and a half battle against cancer. In fact, just six days before a diagnosis of bon cancer forced the amputation of his left leg, Steinmark started and played in Texas 15-14 win over Arkansas which clinched a national championship.
Determined to live, he astounded the doctors by appearing on crutches less than a month later at the Longhorns Cotton Bowl game with Notre Dame. After Texas won that game 21-17, Darrell Royal and the Longhorn presented the game ball to Steinmark. Within six weeks, he walked on an artificial leg across the stage to accept his letter jacket at the Longhorn football banquet.
Steinmark continued his college education without interruption an served as a student freshman coach during the fall of 1970 his senior year.
But his battle with cancer was one that could not be won on heart alone. Despite all the doctors could do, Steinmark died on Sunday, June 6, 1971. Born January 27,1949 in Wheatridge, Colorado, he was 22
Source: Texas Sports
Memorial Stadium mid-1980s
Memorial Stadium has undergone many expansions through the years. The last major happened in 1986 when The Neuhaus Royal complex was built at the south end of the stadium. The complex includes the Texas weight room, training facilities, meeting rooms and locker room.
The UT regents in August 1997 approved the funding to refurbish the stadium. Once the renovation is complete the stadium may seat 105,000 people with the north and south endzone additions. Construction of the upper deck and sky boxes should be completed by the year 2000. No date has been set on when the complete master plan will be finished. (Graphic courtesy of UT Sports Information.)
Source: Ultimate Longhorn Site and Ron Lubke
For the first time since the 1968 season, the Longhorns will play their 1996 season on natural grass. The transformation from the turf to grass started on February 24, 1996 and was completed on April 22, 1996 when the last piece of sod was installed.