Memorial Stadium

Memorial Stadium
Source: UConn Athletics

  Administrative  
Address University of Connecticut
2095 Hillsdale Road
Storrs, Connecticut 06269
Phone (860) 486-2725
Longhorn Gear
Longhorn Tickets
  Venue Resources  
Location
Weather Newspaper
Pictures
  The Facility  
Date Opened 1953
Ownership
(Management)
University of Connecticut
(University of Connecticut)
Capacity 16,200
Surface Grass
Conference Independent
Cost of Construction Unknown
  Other Facts  
Former Tenants UConn Huskies
(NCAA)
Population Base 1,500,000
On Site Parking Unknown
Nearest Airport Unknown

Sources:Team Marketing Report and Mediaventures

Memorial Stadium is located in the heart of the University of Connecticut's beautiful campus in Storrs. The stadium, with a seating capacity of 16,200, has been the home of Husky football since 1953 and in that time UConn has posted a 126-92-4 record in the facility. Connecticut played its first game in Memorial Stadium on October 10, 1953, beating St. Lawrence 26-6.

Connecticut has enjoyed great success at home during the past several seasons, posting a 51-27 record in Memorial Stadium during the past 14 seasons. In 1989, the Division of Athletics hosted the first-ever night game in Memorial Stadium with the use of portable lights. Connecticut posted a 20-10 win over Yankee Conference rival New Hampshire in that game.

In 1994 & 1995, night football made its return to UConn, as the Huskies hosted Troy State and the University of Richmond on consecutive weekends in September in the 1994 season, while hosting New Hampshire, Central Connecticut and Buffalo the first three weeks of the 1995 season under the lights. UConn split the two contests in 1994, dropping a 31-21 decision to Troy State and beating Richmond 36-21, a win that was also the first career victory for then-first year head coach Skip Holtz. In 1995, UConn captured all three night home contests, beating UNH 23-21, CCSU 54-9 and Buffalo 26-25.

The 1997 season was marked by two night football contests in Memorial Stadium. UConn hosted a pair of Atlantic 10 Football Conference contests under the lights. The Huskies defeated Northeastern 38-26 under the lights in the season opener and dropped a 38-17 decision to William & Mary on October 18. Musco Mobile Lighting of Iowa provided the lighting for the contests, as they have for all eight night contests held at Memorial Stadium. UConn now has a 6-2 all-time record in night games at Memorial Stadium.

The natural grass playing surface in Memorial Stadium, complete with automated watering system, was resodded during the summer of 1998 and is one of the top playing surfaces in the country.

The Facilities Building in the North end zone of the stadium is home of the refurbished UConn football locker room. The locker room provides a beautiful open (pro-type) double locker for each Husky football player and two locked storage spaces for valuables. Each locker features a nameplate with the player's name on it and the name of a donor that helped make the refurbishing program possible.

In recent years, other major improvements have become part of the new- look Memorial Stadium. It includes a new state-of-the-art scoreboard and message center; replacement of the entire natural grass surface; irrigation systems for both the main stadium surface and three full- length practice playing fields; and a remodeling of the look of the facility with painting and plants.

In 1994, UConn set a single season attendance record at Memorial Stadium, attracting 71,974 fans for its six home contests, breaking the old mark of 63,247 set in 1973. The attendance mark also placed the Huskies first in the New England Division of the Yankee Conference and second overall in the league.

The largest crowd for a football game in Memorial Stadium dates back to 1970, when 16,464 watched UConn beat Rhode Island 33-12.

NCAA
NCAA
1869-Present
Rentschler Field
Rentschler Field
2003-Present



Help us provide a better web site by sending us your
Comments, Suggestions, Complaints, Contributions, Additions, Pictures, or Literary Works to
the Ballparks.COM Webmasters

Please support our sponser and Click Here!

BALLPARKS © 1996-2013 by Munsey & Suppes.