Brown University Field, as it was dedicated in 1925, was built completely by subscription. Clinton C. White led the committee in 1900.
Prior to building Brown Stadium, home games were played at Adelaide Park in Elmwood or on Lincoln Field, which occupied land then known as Lower Campus. At the turn of the century, a new field was opened off Hope Street, called Andrews Field, in honor of E. Benjamin Andrews, President of Brown from 1889-1898.
In 1988, the Stadium underwent a complete renovation, with work being done to restore and waterproof the concrete as well as paint the restrooms, press box and all the graphics throughout the stadium. In addition, an underground sprinkler system was installed for the stadium's natural grass field. A new home team locker room was completed for the 1991 season along with a reception room. These renovations went with the new aluminum seats that were installed in 1978 as part of Operation Pride that marked the 100th anniversary of Brown football.
The stadium's current capacity is 20,000, although a record crowd of 33,000 witnessed Brown face Colgate on Thanksgiving morning, 1932, with the help of portable bleachers brought in for the game.
Source: Brown University Sports Information Office