Colorado Field was the football stadium at Colorado State University between 1912 and 1967. Constructed entirely by the students and faculty in 1912, Colorado Field was the first football field in the state of Colorado to have grass sod on the playing surface. Located at the corner of College Avenue and University Avenue in Fort Collins, Colorado, the entire athletic complex had, along with the main football field, one football practice field, a baseball field, a cinder track around the varsity football field, volleyball courts, a basketball court, and a locker room facility. The Colorado Aggies won nine conference championships here between 1915 and 1955 with players such as Ralph "Sag" Robinson, Kenny Hyde, Julius Wagner, Thurman "Fum" McGraw, Jack Christiansen, Gary Glick and Oscar Reed playing here during its life.
In 1948 lights were added for night games but as the demand for a more updated stadium was needed, Colorado Field's last season was in 1967 as Hughes Stadium (Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium) opened in 1968. Colorado Field was torn down in 1972 and in 1988 the grounds had a rebirth as Jack Christian Track was built to serve the Colorado State University track team.
In 1910 the site of the college experiment station that grew potatoes was identified as the location where the future athletic field should be built. After two years of lobbying and with the support of college president Charles Lory, it was approved in 1912. On May 23, 1912 construction began on the ground located on the very southern edge of the campus at the time. Students and faculty, including Lory removed rocks and planted seed to build the first college football field in Colorado with grass.
Play began in the fall of 1912 with 1,000 seat grandstands being added by the beginning of football season. A cinder track around the field was later added in 1914 since Harry Hughes was as much a track coach as he was a football coach.In September of 1912 the school built a Club House just east of the railroad tracks on what is now University Avenue on today's campus. This acted as locker rooms and showers for both the Aggie players and visiting players.
With a state of the art football stadium the Aggies went on to win eight conference championships over the next 25 years. The ninth and last conference championship team to play on Colorado Field was in 1955.
Larger grandstands were built in 1921 and bleachers were added on the east side and end zones as well over the 55 years Colorado Field served the Aggies, Rams and Fort Collins High School.
Colorado Field served Aggie Football and Aggie athletics very well. Just south of Colorado Field a baseball field was constructed and it is the former location of the baseball field and South half of Colorado Field where Jack Christiansen Track stands today.
In 1961 Colorado State University did a study to either rebuild Colorado Field into a major Football stadium or to replace it with a new stadium on the foothills campus. Because of Colorado Field's location in Ft. Collins it was decided to build a new stadium away from traffic. The last varsity game was played on Colorado Field in 1967 and although Junior Varsity football was played there for a short time, it was torn down due to its age.