This site, due to its natural shape as a amphitheater, started hosting athletic events in 1893. The University or Oregon and Oregon Agricultural College (later Oregon State University) both needed larger facilities for football games, so in 1926 Multnomah Stadium was built. This park was financed by the sale of seat licenses. In 1933, the first steady source of income into the park came with the inception of dog racing until 1956, when the Beavers finally moved here.
The stadium was originally built by the Multnomah Athletic Club in 1926 Ñ though playing fields and earlier stadiums had stood on the site since 1893. The stadium was a popular site for greyhound racing during the Great Depression. In the 1950s, the Portland Beavers moved to the stadium after their original field, Vaughn Street Park, was condemned.
One feature in common with Vaughn Street is a roof that covers almost the entire grandstand, a concession to the rainy Pacific Northwest region.
Up into the early 1960s, the stadium hosted some collegiate games for Oregon and Oregon State football. Typically the schools would play their games versus University of Southern California, University of Washington and some other larger programs during this period because the on-campus facilities were inadequate.