Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium (formerly Memorial Stadium) has been home to Trojan football for more than 50 years. Built in 1950, Memorial Stadium was named in memory of those Troy State students and residents of Pike County who gave their lives in defense of the United States during World War II.
Troy State played its first game in the stadium on Sept. 16, 1950, with the "Red Wave" falling to Southeastern Louisiana, 18-7. On Homecoming that season, Memorial Stadium was officially dedicated by Troy State President Dr. C.B. Smith on Nov. 4, 1950.
Donations by the City of Troy and Richard M. Scrushy, the Chairman and CEO of HealthSouth, allowed for $3.5 million in renovations to the facility. The newly renovated Scrushy Field (but this became a public relations problem for Troy when Scrushy was forced out of his position due to alleged financial misdeeds at HealthSouth, for which he was later tried, but acquitted) increased the seating capacity from 12,000 to 17,500, which includes an upper deck. Chairback seating for reserved ticket holders was also added on the west sidelines in the upper deck.
Seating, concession stands, restrooms and a luxury box for University guests are among the improvements to the stadium. Renovations also allow for more expansion in seating in Memorial Stadium.
The Trojan Walk, a concrete concourse at the main entrance, allows fans and players access to the field. Donors and fans of the program can purchase bricks along the walkway to show their support for the Trojans.