The site of University of the Pacific women's soccer games is Amos Alonzo Stagg Memorial Stadium. Formerly known as Pacific Memorial Stadium, the 44-year old, 30,000-seat earth-filled structure was renamed in 1988 in honor of "The Grand Old Man of Football", who ended his storied coaching career at Pacific, from 1933 to 1946. It also was the site of all University of the Pacific home football games from 1950 until 1995.
Stagg Memorial Stadium is located on the west edge of the Pacific campus along Pershing Avenue. It is adjacent to the Alex G. Spanos Center, home of the Tiger basketball and volleyball, Chris Kjeldsen Pool, where Tiger water polo and swim teams compete, and Bill Simoni Field, where Tiger women's softball plays. The land was donated by Mr. Stagg himself.
The stadium was originally built in 1950 following a two-month fund drive which netted $165,000, mostly through the sale of script that was redeemable for tickets over a 10-year period.
Through the efforts of then-University Regent Lowell Barry, construction began in May 1950 and was completed for the season's home opener against Loyola on October 21. Loyola scored with 34 seconds remaining to upset the Tigers 35-33 in front of a crowd of 32,000. The stadium was rededicated in Stagg's honor on October 15, 1988. San Jose State came from behind to defeat Pacific, 35-17.
The natural turf stadium was built with an original seating capacity of 35,975 with room for expansion to over 44,000, but a series of structural changes have since reduced its capacity to 28,000.
The latest addition to the stadium was its improved lighting system in August 1986. The lights, made possible through the efforts of Tiger boosters Ralph McClure, Bob Eberhardt, Jim Anthony and the Bank of Stockton, increased the lighting capacity from 35 to 75 footcandles.
Another improvement came in 1982 with the addition of a 17-by-35-foot computerized scoreboard. The unit was installed at a cost of $140,000 and was first used in the home opener that year against UC Davis.
Resting on the stadium's east rim, directly across from the press box, is the beautiful Pacific Club, which was dedicated on September 8, 1973. Built at a cost of $250,000, the Pacific Club was a gift from Pacific Regent and former Tiger athlete Alex G. Spanos. It features glass walls on both sides and offers a magnificent view of both the Pacific campus and the playing field. It seats 300 people for meals and is used for a variety of university functions when not in use during athletic events.
Source:University of the Pacific