The Packers first home games were at Hagemeister Park, a vacant lot marked with a football gridiron, adjacent to East High.
There were no gates because there wasn't a fence. Spectators just dropped off the Walnut Street trolley and walked to the sideline, or drove their own cars and parked about 10 yards behind the ropes stretched around the playing field.
If they felt like it, they either sat in their automobiles or on top of them, but most preferred to get out and follow up and down the field. By moving as play progressed, one always had a "50-yard line" location and was handy to any donnybrook that might require a little help. In fact, when things got exciting, the crowd sometimes spilled right onto the field, surrounded the scrimmage in a big circle and virtually took part in every play. Teams didn't huddle in those days, or the fans would have been in that, too.
When the half ended, teams grabbed blankets and adjourned to opposite end zones where they relaxed and talked over the tactics of the next half. The crowd formed a ring around the players, a practice encouraged since it made a handy wind break. Fans weren't bashful about joining the discussions either, sometimes with surprising results. At least one early game was pulled out of the fire by a spectator's halftime suggestion.
In 1920, the city built a section of stands -- a small bleacher that held about 200 -- giving the Packers their first justification for charging admission. The next year, a portable canvas fence was erected around the perimeter and a regular admission charge inaugurated.